Monday, December 29, 2008

"That should be easy!" NOT!






You can definitely tell that it's the Christmas break - I'm on the computer every day! This never happens. I know I've been blogging like crazy but I just had to share something that is so typical to us --- I KNOW some of you can really relate!

I was doing laundry Saturday morning and noticed that my dryer has not been getting my clothes dried on the first cycle very well. I decided to go through the check-list to fix the problem. Number 1, check the lint vent tubing. I knew that it has been almost a year since I had cleaned the lint vent from the outside of the house as well as where the dryer vents into the wall. I did so and found some good size balls of lint. Upon further inspection on the outside, I noticed that the duct hose felt a bit worn and maybe even ripped. (You all know that dryer lint is one of the number one causes of house fires). I then engaged my other-half (Whitney) to check the hose and give me his opinion. Yes- we really should change this out - he agreed and at that moment I said the four words that I have been forbidden to utter -- "That should be easy!" BUT it was too late, the words had already escaped my tongue. I have been forbidden to utter them because everytime I do so, the project ends up being twice as hard if not worse. Well, we went down to the local Home Depot and bought some new "dryer ducting" (what do they call the stuff??!?) We made sure to get enough length. We came home and tried to attach the new ducting to the old and just pull it through -- easy as pie! NOT! The old ducting was so badly torn that it was getting hung up on something in-between the outside of the house and the inside connection to the dryer. OK - we tried everything to get it loose. No luck, next option . . . Let's take the cubboards above the washer and dryer down and cut a hole in the wall to see where the problem is (the hole could be patched and would be covered by the cubboards anyways). We did this but where was the dryer ducting??? Apparently it cut across the ceiling and took another route than the normal, logical one. OK?! - cut another hole? We decided to cut another hole just above where we thought the duct would cross. Success! We were able to reach up and feel where the ducting was getting caught up. Whew! Now back to the original plan. We pulled the ducting through and then the real fun began. Most of you know that where the dryer vents to the outside is just one small hole. Attaching the metal tube to the end of the ducting can be a problem when you only have one hand to work with through a hole smaller than the ducting. To make this task even better, it was freezing cold outside and you absolutely cannot wear a coat or your arm won't fit through the hole, not to mention the hole is several feet above your head. This is where character building comes into play. Whitney was such a good sport about all of this. He worked diligently and took a few breaks to get feeling back into his body. He was able to get everything connected and come in for some hot cocoa. We then patched the wall, replaced the cubboards and re-attached the dryer hose. Whew! I have to give Whit all the credit as the hard part was being out in the cold with much patience. I'm sure most of you can relate to this story and have had similar project adventures. Whit and I both agree however, that these experiences help us to work together as a team and in a weird sort of way, they make for a great date! I had to take some pictures. I'm glad Whit laughed when he saw the camera. Things could always be worse!

2 comments:

The DeGooyer Tetrad said...

What an adventure! I feel your pain, however it is fun when you get to work together with your mate and you build unity. Love ya,
Scott

DeGooyer Family said...

Fun, fun! =) Hope you had a great New Years!

PUGH UNIVERSITY

PUGH UNIVERSITY
Students currently enrolled