Wednesday, March 18, 2009

And The Doorbell Rang . . .








This is the title to a popular children's book (teachers love it!). The story applies in reverse and the theme seemed so fitting for my 40th Birthday yesterday. Here's what happened . . .


Whitney woke up at 5 AM to see the two oldest off to school, then got Shan off at 6:30, baked a chocolate cake and showered while the cake baked. I was able to sleep in until 7 AM HOORAY!! Whit then left for work and I proceeded to get Weslie ready for orchestra at 8 AM. As I'm loading the boys into the car along with Weslie, I notice an empty flower vase on the kitchen counter with a note taped to it. It read, "You deserve all the flowers in the world" and was on a small piece of paper with the heading "Happy 40th Stacey". A little odd to get an empty flower vase but whatever. So I got the kids off then started the morning routine of chores when the doorbell rang. There stood a good friend from the ward who serves in the Primary Presidency with me. She handed me a flower with a note attached. We hugged and she wished me a happy birthday then went on her way. As I glanced at the note, I noticed it was on the same paper as the note Whit had left. Hmmmmm... A half hour passes and the doorbell rang . . . Another flower from a neighbor with a note attached on the same paper. OK . . . Hmmmmm.... Another half hour passes and (you guessed it!) the doorbell rang, another flower and note attached - same paper. Whitney had called 24 friends and family(our children each had a flower and note to give me). He arranged for them to write me a personal note and deliver a flower that he had bought then taken to them the night before. He told them to come whenever they could but it turned out perfect as people kept coming from 9 AM to 9 PM! All different flowers and colors. They are absolutely gorgeous. Whitney really out-did himself with this. It was more than thoughtful as I was touched not only by his love and thoughtfulness but so many others whom I associate with. How in the world did he come up with this idea???! I don't know but I do know that this was the best birthday ever! I told him that I could hardly wait until my 50th!






3 comments:

DeGooyer Family said...

Brett told me about this last night after he talked with you on the phone - what a sweet and creative idea!!! Hope your 40th was one to remember! =)

The DeGooyer Tetrad said...

I am so glad you had a great birthday. That was a great idea Whit had. You deserve it. Love ya.

Kelly DeGooyer said...

Whitney rocks!

PUGH UNIVERSITY

PUGH UNIVERSITY
Students currently enrolled