Tuesday, August 4, 2009

19 Years!



The Pugh Crew was officially established 19 years ago August 3, 1990! Since that time, I can say that things have only gotten better. Marrige isn't just living "happpily ever after," it is counting your blessings even when times are hard. It is learning to value what truly matters in life and not seeking for personal gratification. Here is an excerpt from a newspaper article I clipped back in 1990 (article in the Utah County Journal by Janene W. Baadsgaard)
"After a few years of marriage and more than a few children, I've found love had a way of showing its head at the more common and unexpected times. I used to love my husband for the way he looked in his basketball uniform (me too!), Now I love him for the way he looks in his striped flannel pajamas, after he's been up with the sick baby all night. I used to admire my husband's latest intellectual reciting of his vast store of knowledge. But now I admire him most when he's on all fours, acting like a goon to get our baby to laugh, attentively listening to our preschooler tell knock-knock jokes without punch lines, helping our tenagers with algebra, or reading bedtime stories on the loveseat. I used to think the greatest show of romantic love was a passionate Hollywood kiss and embrace with expressions as "OH my darling, I can't live another moment without you". Now I feel the greatest expressions of love sound more like "Don't worry about the car, honey. We have insurance." OR, "I'll take care of the kids. Why don't you get out and do whatever you want for a day?" OR "Would you like a foot rub". I used to admire my husband's courage to travel to exotic places. Now I admire his courage to stay home, get up every morning and face the work world,only to come home to sticky kitchen chairs, a teenager with a learner's permit, last-minute peanut butter and jam dinners, and after-dinner children who explode with "Daddy, do this" energy."

This sums it up for family life. Here's to another 19 of learning, laughing, loving, and sharing!

2 comments:

DeGooyer Family said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

The DeGooyer Tetrad said...

Congrats! This coming week we will be married 14 years. We are only 5 behind. Love ya.

PUGH UNIVERSITY

PUGH UNIVERSITY
Students currently enrolled